Monday, March 21, 2011

Jane

is
 dead.
Verdell killed her this morning
about
10:30.
I am so sad.
Sad for Jane
Sad for Verdell
Sad for me.
Being the human in this debacle,
I am fully to blame.
The girls had still been so mean to
little
Jane
this morning her little head was all
pecked and bleeding.
I decided to put her in a separate/different pen.
The one I have is our old monkey* pen.
It is completely enclosed with chicken wire
has a good latching door, and I deemed it
safe
for
little
Jane.

I was so very, very wrong.


I put some really good food,
fresh water and
 there was a
tree for her to perch on.
I had it figured out in my head how to make her a cool nest.
She was so happy.
It was a beautiful morning.
J & I had worked
so hard
 on the yard
for days,
and you could finally
see it.
I was really enjoying the first full day of
Spring!
Finally!

It has taken us 15 months to get this far as
there
is
a
lot
of
stuff
and
land
here
to
take
care
of.

Thank you lord   :-)

I got Jane all settled in her Death House
 she was scratchin and digging in the dirt

just being little Jane

and enjoying the last minutes of her little

chicken life
and it was so good and wonderful
until
I
went
in
my
house.
I was planning on going to see
Mom and Dad in Lovington
so I was getting ready to leave.
I had told M & D I would be up and eat lunch with them.
Dad wanted me to bring him some cinnamon drops.
I get ready
and go out side to turn the water off at the well,
and there I see
Verdell
 in
Janes  Death House.

He had dug a
BIG
hole under the fence,
THEN
busted through the chicken wire
to get inside
and
kill
little
Jane.

I was speech less........really for a few moments
then it came
flying
 out of my mouth!
"Verdell, what have you done?"
"oh,no!""oh,no!"




Jane lay with her little head broken and backwards
on the ground
not moving
and Verdell
had
 no blood
 on him.
He knew how wrong he was
as soon as he saw me
and as I started hollering and screaming
at him
he
really
knew
how
much
trouble
he
was
in.
Verdell could not get out of the pen
because as he went in,
he pushed the sharp chicken wire inward also.
He couldn't go back into the sharp wire
so he was stuck
and
couldn't run
FROM ME.
I started yelling and crying and
I found a stick and I stuck my arm through
the chicken wire
and beat the crap out of him.
He is so big, and the stick was not hard
and just broke as I hit him
but he still knew.
He still knows.

All the other dogs,
Spur,  Hop-Sing,  Porsha, Sha-Marie, Bonnie, Clydee, Wolfy, Little Red, Feona, and Shaggy
were NO WHERE to be found.
They hid out for quite a while.

I walked around the pen
opened the door and let Verdell out
yelling at him the whole time.
He acted ashamed.
He should be ashamed.

I bent down and picked little Jane up.
She was still very warm
but her eyes were closed.
I was glad.
I hate the death stare.
I am so sorry I let her down.
I never dreamed that wire could be so easily broken.
Her main injury was in her back and
she really
did smell bad.
oh, bad,
blood and poo and death.
I realized now that I had put on my good
linen
white
shirt
and now I am holding a dead chicken,
walking around the house
still crying
feeling
guilty, stupid, mad, madder, sad, sadder, and
trying to find something to put Jane in.

We cleaned up around here and now I can't find crap.

I finally went in the house
and layed Jane on my kitchen floor.
I got out a trash bag (I know that sounds awful)
and put her in it.
I shoulda/coulda/woulda
taken Jane out into the wild
and complete the circle of life,
but,
instead I put her in the dumpster
at church.
She will complete the circle, just in the landfill.

Verdell acts like nothing, even tho he hasn't done the
Tee Pee, or lovey dovey tonite, which are his signs of affection.
To him, Jane was just another
Toy.
No difference between  a real toy
and fake toy.

I have had a lot of animals in my life,
but I have to say
Jane
was a cool bird.
I miss her already.
Crazy little chicken heart.


Sunset Today







*we really did have monkeys when I was a kid. They were squirrel monkeys. Their names were Peanuts, and Phylis. It was their old house(pen) that became Janes Death House.

2 comments:

  1. So I am now hearing Sweet Jane in my internal radio.

    Hugs for you.

    I remember the monkey pen. Those monkeys fascinated me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so very sorry to hear about Jane... so sorry to have missed your phone calls today! sorry for verdell too, he was just following his instinct. I remember the male monkey, he used to pee on us... love to you!

    ReplyDelete