Thursday, March 10, 2011

Getting Ready

I getting ready for the big party this weekend.
My Dad will be 90 years old.

He told me yesterday that its hard for him to think of himself as 90 years old.

He also said that he knew he and Mom
wouldn't be here much longer
 and he has been thinking about getting all the "loose ends" tied up.
"Like little balls of yarn," he said,
 " I've been trying to think of anything I need to wind up."
"There are SO many things
 I wanted to do,
 that I will never get to do now,
 I just have to leave
 the rest up to who ever wants to keep things going."
I have been helping Dad
 "wind things up for years now".
He has lots and lots of little balls of yarn.
He had the forethought to tie up those balls of yarn years and years ago.
I really do have an amazing Dad.
I love him so very very much.
He is so unique, so kind, so special.
He is so smart.
He is so silly.
I remember one Christmas Eve,
 he wrapped a pair of underwear in a HUGE toilet paper box for
 my brother Mark.
Mark was so excited to have such a big present.
 That was the biggest present and it got a lot of attention and speculation....
 I was probably 5 or 6.
When he finally got thru all the paper wrapping,
 all it was was underwear.
 Mark was so mad.
 Mark threw the underwear down and stomped out of the room,
 all of us just laughing...
Dad then gave him something nice
 like a watch or something like that,
 and something Mark really wanted,
so Mark did have a great Christmas.
 I really don't remember those details.
Dad is a prankster.
 I do remember Dad telling us,
 "You can't judge a book by its cover,
  or tell what a present is by the size of the box."
Dad has always had a poetic prose to him.
Like I said,
My Dad is special.
At 90, he is still the Best Dad in the World.
I am going to make him lemon cupcakes
and get him a new pair of jeans.
He will love that.
I think we will have a great turnout for the party
which will thrill him.
I hope Mom is feeling well.
I hope we are all feeling well.



1 comment:

  1. What a cool memory.

    What a wonderful set of memories.

    Reminds me of dad.

    I hope you guys have a fantastic time. I wish I could be there.

    ReplyDelete