Friday, April 8, 2011

Scorpion Karma

     I caught a scorpion in the den a few weeks ago.
I put it in a jar and set in on the snack bar.
 I can't find one single thing that is good about a
 scorpion. I have tried.
I don't really hate any one or any thing,
but I think I must be close to hating scorpions.
A dark side of my personality must be expressing itself
because I love to shake and rattle the jar that I put this creature in.
He has had no food, or water or air for at least 4 weeks.
The jar has a rubber seal on it
 (peanut butter jar)
 and I have not opened it.
This ugly thing is still alive and still tries to get me.
 He gets mad when I shake the jar, and bounce him on the lid.
How long can this go on?
How long till lit dies?
I worry that something happens and the jar gets knocked off the snack bar
and the scorpion gets free
and
heads
straight
for
my
room.
The pay backs from this POW
(prisoner of war)
would be deadly.
oooooooooo...
I have quite a history with scorpions and their evil cousins the centipede and millipede.
The desert is a dangerous place.
It is home to a variety of bugs and creepers that are amazing.
I saw a lizard today.
Since moving into M & D's house-AKA-Centipede-ville,
I've warned J about leaving his pants on the floor.
He will have to learn the hard way.
Don't we all.
It won't be until after you have lived thru a scorpion or centipede in your pants when you put them on,
will you not leave your clothes on the floor.
Promise.
My smart chihuahua Harley Bean woke me up one nite to alert me to the centipede in the bed.
I can't see without my glasses, but I can see up close very well.
When I opened my eyes and focused them on my covers,
I saw a centipede a few inches from my face.
Man oh man,
its quite a rush,
quite a panic,
I THREW the covers off of me,  grabbed Harley and jumped up.
When I threw the covers, I threw the damn centipede too!
I never did find it again and I looked and looked.
Harley and I went and slept in my car.
It took me a while to be able to relax and sleep in the same room/bed.
I have lived with scorpions and centipedes for all my life.
Every house I have ever lived in, I have always killed a few scorpions.
I did live in a couple of apartments that didn't have them, but had plenty of other crawlies to take up the slack.
Centipedes will fake you out and make you think they are dead.
They will not move, or react to anything,
but leave the room,
and when you come back with your jar or weapon or trash can, or what ever your plan is to deal with this critter,
it will be gone.
It has happened to me several times.
Even when you think you have killed it.
No, it is still alive and crawling around your house, wounded and mad.

I think I will probably kill the scorpion this weekend.
I need to put us both out of our misery.
If that thing DID get loose,
it would find me and bite the crap out of me,
I just know it.
 What comes around goes around.
I've shaken that jar a bunch.

:-)



Jill McCasland

2 comments:

  1. I just curled my feet up underneath me thinking about it.

    ish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. geez, never saw that side of you... it's kinda scarey, but so are scorpions and centipedes... We killed one today about three inches, in the rock garden while we were putting all our flint into big paint buckets. Freaked me out but Tom smashed it with a rock... I remember when I got bit by one at your house getting a pool ball out of the corner pocket... Arg!

    ReplyDelete