Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Little Red is Gone

            I want to think that he is on an
 adventure bone
 to town
and that he will be back.

Little Red

Little Red 
sitting on the 
" hole in the rock " 
rock.

After tonight, I don't think he will be back.  
Big sad bone.

Little Reds father
Wolfy
 was almost killed tonight by coyotes.

Wolfy

Father and Son

This wasn't the first time Little Red
 had tangled with the coyotes,
but it is
the last.
Our little Snickers Bean, aka Nick-Nock,
 was killed and taken right out of our driveway a while back. 
Hop-Sing and Porsha 
were both hurt in the same attack.
I think I need to shoot 
the damn coyotes.
 I think if I killed a couple of them
they would not come so close to our house. 
      Wolfy, Hop Sing , Bonnie, Clydee, Sha-Marie and Spur
 were all outside in the front yard and they 
had gone across the street like they always do,
 and I heard the attack, or
 fight
 as I'm sure they would say.
 I was outside watering the Monarch Square Garden.
 The screaming sounds like children screaming in pain and agony. 
 It makes your skin crawl.
  It is so eery. 
It's creepy.
  It's scary.
  I knew one or more of my dogs had got it.
I didn't know which ones.
What a horrible thing.  
What a horrible feeling.
I went in the house and sat the eggs down that I had in my hand.
I learned that Bonnie will eat the eggs if I set them down anywhere.
I went back outside and started calling everyone home.
"Hoppy!  Wolfy!  Sha-Marie!  Bonnie!  Clydee!"
I yelled their names and they came running home.
Everyone came except Wolfy.
The coyotes were still howling and screaming.
I started towards the crime scene and I saw Wolfy
limping home.
He collapsed at the corner of the Monarch Square.
Clydee was still pacing back and forth on the road,
but all the other dogs ran over to Wolfy and were sniffing and  being very excitable. 
I wasn't sure if Porsha was outside or not, so I started to call for her.
I tried to assess Wolfys condition.
I could see he was bleeding, but not terribly.
I tried to pick him up and he cried.
I realized I had my good pineapple shirt
 on and I didn't want to get any blood on it,
 but I couldn 't leave Wolfy  to go change it,
 because he would go hide if I let him go.
I picked him up and tried to not get blood on me.
His eyes were dilated fully and he was breathing very hard.
It made me so sad for him and for my Little Red.  
Poor baby.
I hope he didn't suffer long.
Then,
I get a mad bone.
Stupid little shits,
I have tried and tried to keep them from chasing rabbits and fighting coyotes, but they are just like kids...
They have to find out for themselves....
.....
and really......
they are dogs.
 They chase things.
The problem is when they catch it, or
when it catches them.  
I got Wolfy on the front porch, and went in to tell J 
and see if Porsha was in the house.
She was.
She was asleep with J.
It took a minute or so for J to wake up and  deal.
I put water and milk in two little saucers and put some pork chop in a little bowl.
I put  Wolfys crate on the floor by him.
He crawled under J's stitching horse.(its a chair he made to lace things on)
I put some water on Wolfys little mouth and he licked slowly.
I could see 4 holes, 2 on each side of him. They were pretty far apart.
It was either 2 bites, or one big damn coyote.
At this point, 
you either go and call the vet,
and plan on spending a whole lot of money,
or
you don't.
I didn't.
I know that may sound awful, 
and it is.
I really think he will be ok without a trip to the vet.
Believe me when I tell you,
we go to the vet plenty.
Little Red was injured much worse and he got well.
Hop-sing healed without the vet too. I nurse and doctor them 
the best I can.

Little Red-you crazy little dog.  I miss you.

Wolfy has been very sad since Little Red has been gone.
  Its been a few days now.
I had them both trained to get in their crates at night. 
They would just run right in and wait for me to shut the door and give them their treat.
Now, Wolfy doesn't want to get in the crate at all.
 The pack of 11 is now down to
10.
10 dogs.
Thats nuts.
Thats me!
                          The Pack:

"Spur"
aka "Spurbee", "Spurglur", "Spurs"
Oldest at 12 years old.
Deaf, missing a few teeth.
 Former Pack Leader
Blue Heeler

"Verdell"
aka "Harley Verdell"  "Verdell Verdell" " Verd"
"V dog" "The big white dog"
6 years old
Accused of being spoiled, and he is not.
He is perfect.
Pack Leader
White German Shepard

Hop-Sing
aka "Hoppy" "The Happy Hop" "Hoppy Hoppy"
"Hoppittee" "The Happy Little Guy"
5 years old
Hoppy doesn't mind anyone
and is happy doing just what he wants.
Looks like a greyhound/chihuahua cross
Fastest dog on the planet.

Sha-Marie
aka "Sha-ta-ta" "The Ta of the Poo and Ta"
"Sha-Marie Sha-Marie"  "Psyco"
7 years old
Twin to Porsha Poo. Verdells buddy.
Demands affection.
Reigns supreme over Porsha at all times.
Chihuahua

Porsha Poo
aka "The Poo of the Poo and Ta" 
"PorshaPorshaPorshaPorshaPorsha"
Twin sister to Sha-Marie
7 years old
The referee and whistler of all activities. Eater of dead things.
Hates the crate. The last one in the kitchen, everytime.
Can't jump.
Chihuahua
Bonnie
aka "Bo---nnie"
3 years old
Twin sister to Clydee.  Street kid.
Does not mind me, yet she is graceful about disobeying.
 The hunter and eater of dead things.
Car and coyote chaser.
Alpha Female
Bird Dog
Clydee
aka "Clydee"
3 years old
Twin to Bonnie. Guard of Outside the fence.
Fierce fighter and protector. In love with Verdell.
Sits in water trough to cool off.
Don't mess around with Clydee,  or you will have Verdell to answer too!
Red Healer
Shaggy
aka "Shag-a -roo" "Shaggy damnit"
"Shaggy stop it"
True age unknown.
 Abandoned at a young age,
and has never mentally recovered.
Known as the troublemaker.
Breed unknown.

Phoebe Feona
aka "Feona"
Probably about 2 years old
My friend Virgil found Phoebe Feona
Abandoned and took her in.
He later died and I took her home.
It has taken her some time, but
she is now happily in the pack.
Likes to climb up on the house.
She is a very moody dog.
Breed unknown
Wolfy, Chico Ramsis, and the late Little Red.
Chico is our Granddog.
He is a visiting member of the pack.
He loves to come to New Mexico
to see his big family.
Chico was born in Hawaii just like President Barack Obama.
He now lives in Virginia
with his mom and dad, W & T,
where he counts the days until we are together again.


Good-bye Little Red

Enjoy your heaven bones.




ma






























No comments:

Post a Comment