Saturday, January 28, 2012

More Snow!

I can never remember having  this much snow....
Holy Cow!

It just kept on coming down.
It was great.




Verdell loved it.



Hoppy got cold pretty fast.


Wolfy with an ice beard! 


Full moon morning










Can you find Verdell?

Playing

More playing!





All the dogs seemed to enjoy the snow.
Even Porsha and Sha-Marie
 ran and played and didn't seem to mind the cold.

We were babysitting
 two dogs for my friend Cathe,
 and they too ran and played in the snow.
This is Jody.

This is Allie.

They were very nice guests. 
 We kept them from Dec. 10th, until Dec.30.
It was a long haul,
 but they were really no trouble. 
 They minded pretty well,
 except for one time. 
Allie got on the trail of something,
 and took off. 
 I almost didn't catch her.
  I thought she was going to crawl thru the barbed-wire fence
 and get on the highway. 
 Lord have mercy.
She is fat,
 but she was pretty fast
 and it was quite a little work out for me to try and catch her.
I don't know what she was after. 
 I don't' think she knew either.
It didn't take 
Jody and Allie
 long to find the
 "chicken dirt".
This is a pile of dirt
 that Justin dug out
 of the chicken pen for me.
After months and months of dumping 
Debbies Kountry Kitchen 
scraps on the ground in the chicken pen, 
 it was starting to smell like a compost. 
 Especially after all the snow. 
 The girls
 (my 7 hens)
 have been very spoiled 
to eating fresh food everyday.
  I had to stop bringing it to them for a while 
so the ground could dry out. 
 They reluctantly started eating the
 grain and crumbles we buy for them.
J dumped the chicken dirt out in the pasture,
 over by the old wagon,
 kinda down in a low spot.
  I knew it was going to be an issue as soon as he dumped the first wheelbarrow full. 
 As soon as she could,
 Bonnie 
started eating the dirt.
 It didn't take long
 before all the dogs that could get to the pile,
 got there
 and starting eating the damn dirt.
Crap.  
I worried and fretted that it would make them sick,
 and J said 
"it never made the chickens sick-."
What a thought.
True so true.
As far as I know, it has not made anyone sick.
They have all eaten a lot of dirt.
Porsha makes a bee-line for it every chance she gets.
Allie and Jody ate their fair share.

I think Allie and Jody enjoyed their stay.
Cathe picked them up
 around 4 o'clock,
 and I got really sick
 by about 6 o'clock.
I ended up being very sick with a virus for about 10 days.
I still feel kinda weak and poop out fast.
I went to the Dr. and she said it just hangs on, 
and knocks the soup out of you.
I have no soup left.
Man, I felt horrible.


These are close ups of  ice crystals on the chicken wire.
(I wish I would have used my flash....it was in the shade)






I thought is was 
pretty
cool.

pipe fence 


It was amazing to see the crystals.
The temperature was just right.

We had 2 different snow storms 
within about 2 weeks of each other. 
It snowed Christmas Eve
 and we had a very white Christmas.
The total snow for both storms was 25 inches +.
For us here in this desert, 
that is a lot of snow.
Snow is not all that uncommon,
but that amount is.
Having gone so long with NO precipitation at all,
it is much needed and well accepted.

Happy Snow Bones!

:-)










ma





















1 comment: